Saturday 20 June 2009

Photosynthesise and grow

Now that the rush of Flax is subsiding; the night has been and gone, the anthology released, I need to continue some sort of growth. I need to keep writing and not lose momentum. Not get caught up in the usual feelings of 'everyone else was excellent, should I quit while I'm ahead'. The answer is of course no (I presume) and so I should write some new things and get them out.

I suppose I need to continue in the vein I was in before. Writing in my style in my way. Although after the reading (my first listening as well as reading) I felt that I'd learned something from the other poets. There was something grown-up and developed about the other writing. Something sophisticated. Mine feels a little like naive art. I need to move it on, grow it up and still retain my style. This feels like a daunting process.

Last night, I went out to a beer festival. Two great lines came in to my head, but they were quickly washed away by the cider before I could reach for my notebook (that is never more than a metre from me). I need to retrace the steps through my memory this morning. I think I lost them somewhere between the overcrowded bar and the gale-blown awning....

No comments:

Post a Comment