Monday 14 December 2009

First half of December going already.

I haven't done much writing recently. Mainly reading. I have been much toying with the idea of writing a crossover novel for young teen women and as such have been devouring any Siobhan Dowd or Meg Rosoff I can get my hands on. I have a long list of others, there are so many after all, and it's just as well they are quick reads. I haven't yet decided on my story, I just know it's an idea I have been thinking about for a long time. Long before I started writing, before poetry, before evening classes, before MA.

I did however start a poem last week at a conference. It started after a few drinks in the company of strangers, and grew on my phone as I had no paper to hand. When I looked at it the next day (sober) I wasn't sure if it would work but I may revisit and see if there is anything salvageable.

It's the end of the MA term now and I need to start writing again for next year, it's all about time really, of which I seem to have none. I also need to write about 500 words on a winter theme for a gathering on wednesday. Isn't christmas hard to write about without being cliched or like Scrooge? I have an idea but no idea how to execute it.

I read The Road last week by Cormac McCarthy (very dark and stark and compelling) and have just started A prayer for Own Meany by John Irving after being inspired by Radio 4's Bookclub.

I feel bereft as the loss of Borders Deepdale in Preston. It was my constant source of poetry journals and books you can't get from Waterstones. Because as much as I like Amazon I like to feel a book first. It also had a paperchase. I will miss it terribly. Just please don't shut down Foyles. It's the reason I still go to London.

1 comment:

  1. I love The Road too - I've never read any of Cormac McCarthy's other novels, although I've watched No Country For Old Men as a film. Have you read any more of his work? I read that Ray Robinson cites him as a major influence, and I really like his work so maybe I should try some of McCarthy's other novels. There's always a massive to-read pile though, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete